Fennel and salmon are a match made in heaven.
The richness of salmon is contrasted by the bright aromatic fennel and mellow roasted tomatoes. The combination of lemon, garlic, olive oi — ingredients that define Mediterranean cooking — makes an intensely flavorful, vibrant dish.
This roasted salmon with fennel, tomatoes, and potatoes is a simple, quick weeknight one pan dinner. It is one of those dishes that are so tasty and healthy, a breeze to assemble, yet elegant enough to share with friends.
I like to use pink peppercorns as they have a mild, fruity aroma, and a sweet peppery taste, making them a perfect spice for fish and seafood. When cooked, their tase become similar to that of black pepper but milder and have a subtle fruitiness and sweetness. In spite of their redness, they’re not spicy hot like other peppers.
They are related to the cashew nuts, you may substitute for black pepper in case of allergies. The result will still be as flavorful, but you may want to use a bit less so that its strong peppery taste and aroma do not overwhelm that of the fennel.
The pink peppercorns are too soft to be ground in a peppermill as he berry skins can break apart and clog it up. It is best to crush them with a knife or spice grinder.
Baking the potatoes alongside with the cod salmon, makes this a complete dinner.
Roasted Salmon with Fennel, Tomatoes and Potatoes
- 4 Wild Caught Salmon Fillets
- 1 Large Fennel Bulb and the leaves
- 8 oz Grape Tomatoes
- 1.5 lb Baby Red Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Garlic minced, divided
- 1 Lemon Zested and Juiced
- 6 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin, divided
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Pink peppercorns crushed, divided –See Note
- Preheat the oven to 375o F
- Rince and then cut the potatoes in half (or quarters, if necessary), so that to have bite-sized pieces.
- Wash the fennel and separate the bulb from the leaves. Cur the bulb and thick parts of the stems in 1/2″ slices. Finely chop 2 tbsp of the leaves and set aside. Keep some more of the leaves for garnish.
- In a baking sheet, add the potatoes, and fennel bulb and stems. Drizzle with 4 tbsp of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, 1/4 tsp pink pepper, 1 tbsp of the garlic and half of the lemon zest. Stir to spread the olive oil and spices evenly on the vegetables.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the potatoes is halfway cooked, stirring a couple of times to ensure even browning to the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half and prepare the salmon fillets. Rub the surface of the fillets with the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, the remaining of the pink pepper, garlic, lemon zest, and fennel leaves.
- Remove the pan from the oven, stir gently and re-arrange them making “nests” leaving space for the fish.
- Place the salmon fillets in the nests and sprinkle with the tomatoes. Bake for 15 minutes or until the fish is fully cooked, but not dry.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice, sprinkle with some of the remaining fennel leaves and serve.
This information is provided as a courtesy and for entertainment purposes only. This information comes from online calculators. Although eatmediterraneanfood.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
I hope you will give this Roasted Salmon with Fennel, Tomatoes, and Potatoes a try!
Let me know in the comments if you have any questions.
If you are looking for more fish recipes, check the ones below:
What a fresh, delicious and healthy recipe! Thank you!
Thanks, Melinda! I am glad you enjoyed it!
This looks amazingly delicious and I bet it is, too!
Meant to leave a review too, sorry for the duplication!
I am going to include this in my Mother’s Day Recipes roundup which will go out in about an hour and a half. I just realized that I am unable to save your image. Is there anyway you could send it to me? Thanks!
I will email you the image in a few minutes
Simple and delicious
The lemon zest and pink peppercorns really took this to a whole other level! Can’t wait to make again!
Fennel is such an underused flavor! This salmon comes out delicious and is great as a main course or made into an app!
I love it when healthy recipes taste so decadent! This recipe is a winner! Loved every bite!
Love the combination of flavors in this recipe! Super tasty, and I love that it is such a healthy recipe too.
Wonderful flavor combo! I absolutely love fennel and tomatoes together. Thanks for a great recipe!