Do you like asparagus? Not everyone does. You might be missing out on a delectable treat if you don’t try asparagus. Some people hate this vegetable, but it’s more likely because their families have never cooked or used it before. The beauty of asparagus is in its versatility. It can be a delectable treat when cooked correctly and with the right ingredients.
Asparagus is not only delicious but good for your health too
Not only is asparagus a delicacy, but it is also good for your health. It is exceptionally high in insoluble fiber and is rich in vitamins and minerals (including vitamins A, C, E, K, B6, folate, iron, copper, calcium, and potassium). Plus, it’s a rich source of antioxidants. So if you want to choose a nutritious and delicious vegetable, you can’t go wrong selecting the lowly asparagus. (source WebMD, Health)
Choosing asparagus at the market
How to choose asparagus? The young asparagus are tender. Look for thin, firm stems and tight, closed tips. As asparagus grows, the stem becomes thicker, and you will have to peel the lower parts because the stem can be stringy and tough. Always wash this vegetable just before cooking, and then cook it whole.
Some easy ways to prepare asparagus
- Heat five or six tablespoons of broth (vegetable or chicken) in a skillet. When you begin to see bubbles, add the asparagus to the pan and cover it. Allow the asparagus to sauté/steam for about five minutes. Remove them from the pan and then toss them with extra virgin olive oil balsamic vinegar drizzle.
- Chop the asparagus and add it to your favorite pasta. Season the dish with fresh herbs (rosemary, tarragon, thyme), and drizzle freshly squeezed lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- Have leftover asparagus? Please don’t throw it away. Instead, chop it up and add it to the next morning’s omelet. Not only will this use the asparagus, but it will also add extra freshness to breakfast.
- How about grilling asparagus? If you’re careful or use a Grill Mat or Grilling Basket, you can place the spears on the grill for a minute or two to get a nice char on them. Then, turn them and cook for another minute on the other side. Then mix olive oil, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese (optionally) in a bowl and toss them with the dressing.
- Roast them in the oven. It is an easy and quick way to get similar results to the grilled asparagus when the weather is not permitting to turn on the BBQ. See my recipe for Easy Oven-Roasted Asparagus.
- You can also steam asparagus and then sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- If you have skinny, fresh asparagus, you can chop them and add them to your favorite salads.
Now you know how to cook asparagus and prepare it for eating in different ways. So, give asparagus another chance, and you might be surprised by how much more enjoyable it can be. Not only is asparagus good, but it is also good for you.
Leave a Reply