Spetzofai – Braised Sausage and Peppers
- 4 organic peppers banana peppers
- 1 lb sausage greek horiatiko or italian, preferably organic
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp organic tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- Cut the peppers lengthwise and remove the seeds and ribs.
- Slice the pepper halves into 1 inch strips, and then in half across.
- Slice the sausages into ⅓ inch rounds.
- In a large heavy skillet,heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the peppers for 5 - 10 minutes in medium high heat.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peppers to a plate.
- In the same oil, add the onion and cook in medium high until translucent (about 7 minutes).
- Transfer the onion to the plate with the peppers.
- Add the sausage to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes (until browned) stirring occasionally.
- Return the peppers and onions to the skillet, increase the heat to high add the wine stir to deglaze the skillet and cook for 5-10 minutes until the wine is evaporated.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
This information is provided as a courtesy and for entertainment purposes only. This information comes from online calculators. Although eatmediterraneanfood.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.